A Day Outing to Greenwich.

This outing was a late 80th birthday gift to Arthur from his three daughters, Nicola, Tansy and Isobel. (the actual birthday date was 8 September)


View over East London from Green Observatory

Saturday 3rd October 2009. I woke at 6.55am and got up for a shower and shave. I had my breakfast around 7.30am – Sylvia was up at 8.0am and had just toast and coffee. Nicola came at 8.55am and we (Arthur and Nicola) left at 9.05am and Nicola drove to Wickford where we parked the car at the railway station and got the 10.5am train to Liverpool Street, London. Here we found both Isobel and Tansy waiting for us. We went on the underground to Tower Hill and from there walked past the Tower to Tower Pier. We got the boat from there to Greenwich. The trip took about 30 minutes and we really enjoyed a good humorous commentary about the river and all the surrounding buildings. From Greenwich pier we walked to the Marine Museum building and through there to get into Greenwich Park. Then up a steep hill to the Royal Observatory buildings.

Nicola, Arthur and Tansy

Nicola, Arthur and Isobel

There was a busy crowd of visitors there. We had some splendid views overlooking London. Various photos were taken on various cameras and mobile phones and we entered different rooms and museum exhibits. We got coffees and sat out on a terrace with those. It was very windy and the clouds threatened rain but it did not appear. We went to other buildings there, museums of astronomy, of clocks and time keeping. We waited at 1.0pm to see the time ball drop down on its mast. We were surprised at how slowly it fell.

Isobel standing over the meridian line

Tickets were booked for a planetarium show and until then we walked to a small cafċ restaurant and had the most delicious soup with good bread. The park is much larger than I had thought and full of sweet chestnut trees with people collecting the fallen nuts. Then we went back to see the show.

Nicola, Isobel and Tansy with a London background

After that still more museum rooms were seen and then we walked down the hill and across the park, past The Cutty Sark (still under repair after the fire) and took the stairs leading down to the tunnel for pedestrians under The Thames. We climbed up more stairs on the north side (on the Isle of Dogs) into Island Gardens.

We watched a paddle steamer moving rapidly up river

and we went across a few streets to find Glengarnock Avenue. This was formerly called Newcastle Street and was where my great grandparents (the Humbers) lived in the 1860s. From there we got the Dockland Light Railway to Canary Wharf. Here Isobel continued on to The Bank and so home to Hatfield. We others changed train and went to Stratford from where Tansy caught a train to Romford and Nicola and I got a train to Wickford.

We were back in Latchingdon at 6.40pm. Nicola went home to Tiptree about 6.55pm. Sylvia cooked a tea of fried eggs and potatoes and later we had coffee and cake. A very good day out and the three “girls” insisted that they pay for everything – my birthday treat.

For other items, see the INDEX


You may leave a comment below – it will be added to these pages when it has been approved.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s